Translate

Thursday, February 01, 2018

Reality check on mental

There can be a problem I think where people can worry about mental health of a person. And in my experience it is simpler to just ask with me, or better yet, let me talk it in my blog. Or, more than likely there is no concern in that area and wonder if you think there is without medical training.

Would you try to diagnose a medical disorder without training?

Plenty of people do, and have seen that happen, while I spent 5 years in the US Army on active duty working in medical centers. First as primarily an EKG tech in a Cardiology Clinic, and later with administrative duties for a couple of years with radiation safety. And got perspective on the VAST amount of training and expertise needed to make an accurate medical diagnosis.

And it is amazing to me, how people will talk the talk about mental illness until it looks easy, too easy to go wrong, like in attacking a person with whom they disagree.

To some people disagreeing with THEM must mean YOU are crazy. And they aren't really rational about it.

Or people will believe they know what it is without any training or experience, just from a vague sense or maybe even worse, from entertainment.

Actual mental illness tends to be seriously debilitating. And is not entertaining.

Is sad that the American entertainment I know, has rarely chosen to show mental illness as it is, while routinely using the subject. And that has a lot of influence on people especially since in the past was rarely something with which would have direct experience. Though recently that is changing, where our world reality is stressing humans quite a bit.

Functionality of the mentally ill can vary much and am NOT going to talk as if an expert myself, but generally yes, it will take a person down, and generally no, will not lead to much positive. That is basic enough to not be claiming medical expertise. Like people with bipolar who have manic episodes can simply generate volumes of gibberish believing it brilliant.

Have never been diagnosed as bipolar. But do get asked. So yeah, am highly creative without a medical diagnosis of THAT disorder though have seen lots of professionals who can make that diagnosis if applies.

Will admit have been in therapy much in my life. First when was 12 years old because entire family was in therapy as my parent's marriage went through a rough period which ended with a bitter divorce. And later sought therapy on my own, though have seen quite a few puzzled therapists, wondering why I was there. That is NOT fun.

These days realize I felt that inner pain of having suffered childhood abuse without being able to articulate it well, while often being numb with a functionality that hid just how messed up I felt.

And I knew to seek help. And sought help, and sought help, and sought help. Recent news has given me more answers than over a dozen therapists. Seems strange to me now.

So yes, have great access to mental health professionals. Like now my status as a military veteran, though admittedly did not see any combat, means have VA care available and have taken advantage of it. And probably will do more, and this time hand my guesses with more personal authority?

Usually yeah, am simply doing intake, and letting the professional guide, to the point where am looking at someone wondering why am there. THIS time will be saying, hey, adult survivor of severe childhood abuse who is no longer coping well, can you please give professional guidance?

Gotta have a good plan upfront I think. And why share here?

Well is so wrong, but is so easy for so many people to launch a personal attack with an insult about your sanity. And once they start attacking you on mental health, human beings can go down a slippery slope to where reason no longer matters. They just FEEL something must be wrong with you because you make them feel wrong.

So maybe more information will help. But maybe will not with certain folks. In my experience, there are people who tend to find facts do not matter to them in certain areas, if get an opinion. They will hold that opinion till death. But could help even with such types, who come newly to things like this blog, before an opinion sets.

Better to go with facts though, if you can. Or even better, leave medical diagnosis? To the well-trained professionals.


James Harris

No comments: