Translate

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Why talk pay?

Was really gratified to see a hashtag on Twitter that emphasized greater transparency in salary. Which is something I highly recommend and have a blog post where I explain why.

Will quote myself, sorry but that explains so much, and give the link to it:

...Ever wonder what is the best explanation for why companies don't want employees to share what their salary is? 
Now you know. It's so they can keep salaries lower...
Beyond Mundane post: Valuing knowledge and money

But it gives me a chance to disclose some information about myself, which I put out in a tweet:
Being able to embed tweets is very cool, so yes, you can click on the hashtag.

And yes, will readily admit it is an embarrassingly low salary for the tech industry. And that was in the Atlanta metro area, and I was a lead Java developer. Of course also it was over a decade ago. I left the position voluntarily, to focus on some personal projects.

And that's the highest salary I've ever had, though I didn't get that full salary back in 2002, as I left before the end of year. And talk about a shock as my income went to zero. You learn lessons about yourself from such things. And think a lot about making certain decisions. But I don't regret it.

Clearly then I'm am NOT money motivated. But I'd definitely like to make more money, but on my own terms and without chasing it as the reason. It matters to make money to achieve certain life goals I have.

So I worked it all out in a post where I have the money conversation. Had to figure out everything too, so have other posts covering things like promotion, as I try to figure out how to make money and still like myself.


James Harris

No comments: