Translate

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Considering attention variation though

One thing have noted is a global reality to attention my ideas get, at various locations like here on this blog. And a benefit have realized to doing these kinds of posts is to document. This time though also want to talk more about how attention has varied through the years.

Ok, so now to Google Analytics which use as a baseline even though know does not capture all visits, but gives an indication.

And yeah, so far this year, which is nearly over, have had visits to this blog according to Google Analytics from only 66 countries.

Top 5: US, India, Netherlands, Canada, South Korea

And that is from only 305 cities. Where languages, again according to Google Analytics where just reading the numbers, is only 46.

Looking at those kinds of drops from prior posts where have talked these numbers is interesting also in the variation, as yeah went down, but tend for this blog to stay over 45 countries annually. Actually if my memory serves me, for a LONG time was usually around that number, year after year after year.

For a LONG time also I'd focus on the audience numbers where now I rarely even check them. And do not give, where there are practical reasons, but can guess do not live up in MY mind to those other numbers. Yet also the web analytics are more of an indicator which helps more with trends I think.

Where am talking one blog, and I do tend to notice how attention flows across wherever I can get web analytics, and variation in some ways is simple: usually have English speaking countries, and all of Europe. The up and down with the country counts tends to be elsewhere, with the biggest drop off across continent of Africa, and the other being across continent of South America.

Which to me is unexplained. Still get visits from a LOT of countries annually which is rather steady in many ways.

Explanation for yearly constancy that I like? My ideas pull the attention constantly. The variation I see is actually more like a kind of random like looking at the tops of waves on the ocean.

What impact from things I do on my blogs or across other social media?

Um, remarkably often is hard to see any. Which is why have LOTS of freedom to try things.

Reality though is that once the ideas are introduced they do not need me. And to the extent that people even bother to come back to the source, like here, is usually only cast-off attention that may come my way. That means that often I find it hard to see much impact with what I do, or say, or whatever. You get used to it.

There ARE things that can move things much but in other ways don't talk as much as too close to the underlying machinery of the web itself. And turns out? Don't explain that much. One way to figure out where I mean is, how do people even know to get here though? From so many countries? Ever?

That is not about me, but about how web search like Google and also yeah Bing work, along with whatever else gets people here. And over such things I have NO control, and wouldn't want any either. However yeah, if I got a little wild will amuse me to see what shifts, like it matters.

As explained the annual story is more smooth and constant, regardless of what I do personally. Reality of that assessment bothered me, which is why began focusing on a code of behavior. The ideas don't care but I must. And am happy now with that lesson of steady to work through such things over a period of years.

With all that said though, how do I explain that shift from around 45 countries annually to these higher levels more recently? And to me is yeah, about idea introduction.

New ideas recently introduced? Ideas around entertainment in last couple of years.

So there IS a mechanism that experience shows does shift things up which is introduction of new ideas.


James Harris

No comments: