Translate

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Pursuing ideas is a thrill

Chasing after ideas to me is hunting after something that cannot be hurt, like my idea that entertainment is about safely controlling mood. For me finding an idea like that is about a search which can kind of be relentless. And for me there is a massive thrill in that perspective.

And years ago as have explained went in pursuit of math ideas for lots of reasons but also without necessarily needing to succeed. The activity keeps the mind active, ran through a LOT of paper scribbling equations endlessly, but also could get little thrills here and there with some result, though often turned out to be a false one, early on.

That chasing perspective has kept it very exciting, and I realized you can have thrill seekers who can chase ideas relentlessly like I do just for that feeling.

Now with many ideas of my own where have felt a certain measure of pride in them, and sense of accomplishment, there is that comfort in knowing the ideas do not care. They cannot be hurt or even impacted in any way by that relentless chase. And though I may feel like I bagged them, it is just my imagination, safely, bringing into the creative process a point of view which in other arenas is very different.

My ideas are now scattered across 4 blogs, lots of other social media, a website for my open source project and other things might escape me as I type this post, and I routinely discuss something or other more than once, as look often to find some place other when an idea can work well.

For me? Ideas rule.

Of course the other irony is that ideas DO rule. Like the laws of physics are great ideas that rule our reality. The discoverers could imagine chasing after them maybe, but sure yes, Sir Isaac Newton first figured out potent ideas around gravity and Albert Einstein improved our understanding with his own, but regardless, those ideas are about what keeps us firmly on the ground.

Which is the other aspect of ideas with proper perspective, as yeah, they can help you stay grounded.

Am sure. Sounds good. Keeping it in here.

Though thankfully other ideas let us fly, and even go into space.

Love arguing with myself just a bit, as can help get the bigger picture. Ideas do rule, and hold us down, while letting us fly, and there is no contradiction there.

Pursuit of ideas though can take a HUGE amount of energy and relish putting the effort behind me, so can more often now think about what I found. And wonder how I found. Because more and more is a mystery to me. But it was SO much fun. Am so glad that pursuit of truth was such a dominating need.


James Harris

No comments: