Translate

Monday, September 18, 2017

How do people know though?

So far into an online process where noted really was on web, with my broad definition which is ANYTHING solving the information distribution problem, since 1996, is fascinating to consider the how of a blog like this one with a readership from 63 countries so far this year according to Google Analytics.

Back then was arguing on Usenet where eventually was through Google Groups, where am not sure when that happened, where wasn't really there to argue but to play with some math ideas. Guess wasn't as bad at that as some of the people who would start obsessively replying to me would claim.

Often was just brainstorming though. Trying out idea, after idea, after idea and tossing as soon as realized it didn't work. Until had exhausted EVERY possible way of attacking one particular math problem, after having deluded myself had solved it, where a TON of people knew the error but wouldn't tell me. And I finally could see it myself and mentally collapsed.

By then was known around the globe JUST in this math area but insultingly, as these math people were not happy with my innovative techniques for tackling math problems, they'd say relentlessly while relentlessly stalking my posts.

And I didn't even bother acknowledging most of them by then. Was focused on my ideas and only considered posts that helped me evaluate them, for the most part. At times was drawn into other things but insult wars? Boring.

Oh, so yeah, had FINALLY thought had something perfect and argued that for SIX MONTHS until saw had a dumb error, and mentally collapsed. There was nothing salvageable. The shock felt is hard to express. But it came and after a time, maybe some weeks I guess, it went.

Pulled myself back together. Chastened and debating with myself, realized I just liked the process and enjoyed playing around with math things JUST for the fun, which sounded good to me. Guess realized I wouldn't stop, but could shift my motivations!!! And then why stop? I was having fun, and not taking TOO seriously, any more.

And then promptly realized that one problem? Where had tried everything?

I had tried everything possible with basic techniques was using. How might I expand possibility?

And in a couple of weeks had invented my own mathematical discipline, though didn't realize it fully then. That was December 1999 and did kind of feel like significant was just before year 2000. Is kind of hard to do something like that. And skepticism is max, and you end up testing every part of it, over and over and over again.

But was back and ended up arguing with math people, and skeptical of my own things, wanted something else to feel more confident, so started thinking about prime numbers. And in a couple of weeks had my own way to count prime numbers. Which to me is one of my wildest stories. Took about two weeks and went LOOKING for something like that for my FEELINGS. And had it August 2002.

So at that point there were people who am sure knew. And they could just look at this thing.

Later also to feel better as was STILL arguing with math people where wonder now wonder why I still bothered, I decided to write a software app, to have something solid, you know? Math things were solid but a tool, felt a different kind. So I wrote Class Viewer and put on SourceForge.

It roared around the globe in certain circles before Google was really big, so watched wondering when was in thousands of...what were they called? Directories. Editing and finally came to me. And not surprisingly took over search: Class Viewer

Have had it ever since for the most part though recently seem to have #2 a lot, and that was since 2004.

So yeah, for people who know certain things, would make sense to keep up with what I'm doing lately. Just the things I've mentioned here, which are more highlight items as I kept doing more things would justify constant global attention.

Which is the basics of how people know to do things like follow my blogs.

Have been putting up big things online since 1999. Oh cool that rhymed. Um, going to stop that now.

Decided to just label metaspace. In essence am discussing the meta of how I maintain global reach.

Gist of it seems to be a relentless poring out of ideas online over two decades, with some more than significant enough to grab and hold attention of people across many countries. How many people though? Realize I have lots fewer clues there.

The key then is the enabling power of the web, for information distribution, with a driver of an idea production which actually is rather high. I've pumped out so many have no clue how many actually.

Just quit bothering to count even the ones I consider globally important.

Just seemed so arbitrary the determination. How do I know say, that functionally defining money is significant at global level? (I think it is.) But definitely think entertainment is? And sure a new way to count prime numbers should be, but what about some other math thing? Besides, what do I care really?

Is up to others what value they see in ideas or not, and with global it is about value to others.


James Harris

No comments: