Translate

Friday, June 22, 2018

Pure attention reality and measuring impact

Readily admit did not react well when finally got objective evidence of a decent audience response to some of my ideas. Which is an interesting way to put it. Another way to put it is: struggled with handling properly global interest across several areas from a coding effort with an open source project to my math ideas and beyond.

This blog was made by me over a decade ago to try to get a handle on the beyond would think, from the title. Seems lately to be where I try to process things. And for over a decade there have been people out there keeping up with my content and apparently linking to it, and finally got more thankful. You're all kind of the unsung heroes of my story? Yeah, those of you who fit that description are. I DO focus so much on myself. But for so many years it all just seemed so strange.

For so many years have wondered what is real and how to know. That can really make life a struggle because you still have to make decisions regardless, on the daily.

So much has been and still is a mystery to me. And yeah, mystery matters but I mean that to be about not showing too much to your audience. Some people like to peer behind the curtain, but more just want the performance.

Objective reality here though is telling: have maintained global interest by objective measures from 100+ countries, where THAT number comes from downloads of my open source project for over a decade.

The blogs like here, except for Lost in Commentary, trend to 50+ countries where am relying on third party sources with much from Google. Like I use Google Analytics for country counts as can look at on a yearly basis and even compare between years. I also rely on Blogger stats to some extent, but they are less extensive, for some reason. What's up with that Blogger?

And is very mysterious to me who you all are--out there, all over the world.

Maybe I should work on that, huh? Will consider. There are HUGE positives to me with how things have gone. And have talked here much about the web benefit of being in control, yourself. But the big negative is: then how do you make money? Which to me seems kind of pathetic. Never thought money-making focus would end up driving so much. But also is forcing me to settle things.

We can get a pure attention reality where you share your thoughts and people can be interested, or not. Without so many intermediaries who could too often in the past simply be gatekeepers, who could block people just based on their moods or discretions.

In our times we can know just how terribly that worked as SO many people who would never have done well in the old systems, are getting global now. Guess can count myself as one? Guess I should.

So yeah, I need to work on the mystery. Who are YOU who may be reading now? For those who have supported me through the years, amid the ranting, and the endless repeating of how unsettled I am, and who knows what else wacky, thanks!!! Reality is, most of my global attention is just from ideas that I share without some huge production.

For that to work though, especially to stay at the global level is about the audience for the content.

That is just how such things work.

Measurement though is so much about other people. Sure I can control the content here, and my decisions to post or not, and edit or whatever.

But measuring things like how global this blog is? That is out of my hands.

Information about interest comes from others.


James Harris

No comments: