Translate

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Pondering power of knowledge

Over a decade ago was confronted with my own research with questions about the true power of knowledge. Where yes, have heard the saying. And more recently on my Twitter found myself coming up with a variant which is relevant to this post:

The problem with knowledge is power, which is why every oppressor seeks to suppress it.

Was going to embed it, but will put link to it here. And think that yeah, knowledge has the power to make change which others may seek to resist! And oppressors of various kinds can simply try to suppress that information in various ways.

What is interesting to me is how that can play out and how others may react to it. Where I think many look to various status symbols, like money or celebrity. And others may focus on institutions. Or you may even look to governments, which may be where most would think first.

Knowledge to me is more than just information in that it has demonstrated value.

So knowledge is functional information? I like that, and naturally would focus on functional since use that concept a lot. Ok, let's try it out:

Knowledge may simply be considered to be functional information.

But all information has a function. People share for some reason.

Maybe then knowledge is demonstrated value beyond perceived which can reveal best over time. I can share information I think is valuable, but whether it actually is or not, can be realized in time.

To what extent does knowledge have the ability to BE suppressed though? And how does that look?

How effective is that regardless? And how do people BELIEVE it is effective?

Lately have been considering what I consider to be pseudo-realities where groups of humans convince themselves of things that are not actually true. And in so convincing, work VERY hard to create.

These lead to what I notice are collapsible bubbles. When a stronger force can simply drag these people--into the real world.

Human beings are communal creatures. Throughout human history, there has always been the question, what value truth over community if are in conflict?


James Harris

No comments: