Translate

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

How discovery shifted my money focus

There was definitely a profit motive for me in chasing math discovery early on, which I clearly stated back then. My idea was that maybe could find something with modern problem solving techniques which had been missed before, which have often noted, which should also make me wealthy, like with a book deal about my story.

Which to me isn't even a big deal now, but along the way, lost my profit motive, and even lost my money focus which is good, as ran into consequences that made it greatly more difficult to make money as I had. Which have explained recently as an understandably large business risk. I'm read all over the world, just haven't monetized that well.

That discovery pushed me to shift as also learned did not actually have a good understanding of money in the first place. Just had taken it for granted one should try to get rich, and do so young. Like vaguely had plans to make my first million by age 30, which is just common as an idea in my country without it being clear why.

Going to focus on some key things which came to me while typing this post where is a bit of a surprise. I prefer to just let the writing flow then edit. There were things I thought would be here, which did not flow from the writing. And now as I edit, think learned quite a bit more than I expected from that as well. So here is what did make it.

Much shifted then when realized that money is just an abstraction for a favor, which is a social IOU backed up by society. Is like the concept of an I owe you, went from a paper kind of thing for a person, to paper for a country. Where is so cool how money gets introduced into the US system, as is not as intuitive as I thought. Have a post explaining on one of my blogs somewhere. That isn't the point of this post though. Maybe will find it later though. (Found it, from July 2015, on Lost in Commentary.)

With that idea in mind, yeah can explain how a cup of coffee from a friend is one kind of favor common to many who might share time with one over, and from a commercial establishment is great example when get benefit of the favor of a cup of coffee from a stranger, in exchange for money.

So I like to call it the stranger economy.

Where is so wild when you realize that in time it became accepted that the quality of that cup of coffee, and even the experience in the locale, could be so much greater that now more than likely would prefer to share with a friend in a commercial establishment often.

And the cost of getting that mood? Is priced into the things obtained there from that cup of coffee to other items might purchase along with it. Where yeah, my ideas on entertainment helped there as well, as understanding entertainment as a way to safely control mood, could find once again the idea of entertaining friends, as natural.

For a bit had entertainment separated in my mind from entertaining, as if were from very different places versus now realize are not, where one usually involves payment, yup to strangers, while the other tends to be more personal. And yet again, our expectations for paid entertainment quality are MUCH higher than from ourselves for our friends, unless you are that friend people think should be raucously entertaining.

Kind of feel for entertainers who maybe have friends who think they should bring their work with them to the party, if invited. Suspect they probably prefer that time off, to relax and safely enjoy quality time with others, if possible.

So with discovery lost my money focus. Better understood community focus. Then better understood the stranger economy which gets back to money. And now have worked to bring it all together in a way where makes sense, for me and possibly for others.

If makes more sense to you now? I succeeded with you which is a point of sharing. While also is important for me, which means the effort is worth it regardless.

There is a question that still bothers me though, which I may as well put out there, as I wonder, would I post differently if I were wealthy?


James Harris

No comments: