Translate

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Social disruption is good for your attention

Finally have a better handle on how the web is transforming our globe with respect to our attention, which also involves our time. And for YEARS have hyped that wonder of efficient and easy distribution of information that the web provides, but the attention reality is about finding quality content.

That is disrupting prior attention industries. Where I no longer have to talk about the hypothetical of whether or not television shows were good or not, as we can just watch which ones are still here.

Like Star Trek was better than I even realized. And so many other television shows were SO much worse, and people are deciding on the constant now. The pressure against current television shows is not just with each other, but with whatever content is available, including from the past.

The television model was not what I thought, and is now evolving as web completes absorption of television, and folks can learn how such shows actually become successful.

The correct attention model learned with my own content is rather constant, with bursts of attention happening here or there in a way I now consider not terribly interesting. Have had things of mine in their own way go viral for a bit. Have dealt with bursts of celebrity in certain areas here and there.

And realized is a very big world, when you consider billions of people, and what interests them.

Have focused so much on television often and in this post as was so dominant in my life. And I learned some really wrong lessons from what I thought I knew about television. While now I rarely talk in detail and especially stay away from current shows--as I do not wish to accidently crush them.

Being able to channel the interests of millions with such a limited thing as television is, gave a lot of power to certain people and helped fuel a lot of industry, especially advertising. Now advertising has to evolve, and I think is great.

While I had to invest vast amounts of time and attention in figuring out web systems, with the money thing in the distance, until it became the biggest thing. Where I found out you do not need money to be global if you have interesting content.

Right now am stuck in a homeless shelter in Macon, GA, USA as try to figure out the money thing. Yet I can shift the reality for just about anything on television without much effort. And I no longer think being on TV would be a big deal. Am more global than much.

How can someone like me consistently put up content that draws attention from around planet Earth, year after year after year? And how do I connect that safely to some way to make money?

Such things I ponder.

Our species I think is very peculiar. More I pay attention to what from me keeps getting global attention? More I wonder. To me now television industry is tiny, but still kind of interesting, some times. They DO still try. Maybe now they will learn to be much better.

They had better, if television industry wishes to survive and am sure it will. I have an odd faith I think where maybe should question more why. Television industry is competing with a web of attention from all over. And people have standards now unlike before.

Today we can compare past as well as present in our decisions on best content. And choose at a moment what best moves us, or maybe those close to us. And it IS important to each, as is about how best to spend precious time.

Is yours--your time. You only have so much in a life.


James Harris

No comments: