Translate

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Our common global potential

Am paying more attention to how often notice local stories from around the globe. Also other ways when find myself considering distant nations by various measures, where am learning much about people there. Which to me is a great benefit of the ease of information distribution of the web.

But also means am looking at people getting global attention.

Where do think we need to talk it that way. And have a feeling that often? Is not felt that way for those folks! Where will go meta with my own experience.

Meta just means: self-referential

And self reference helps me keep my facts straight. Like February 2004, decided to put up an open source project for software developers with vague ideas of what MIGHT happen. Wanted good things but was wary then of what I thought might happen if did ok.

Now over fourteen years later, is a relatively small open source project where has at best that I noticed managed a bit over 9 downloads per day, but has been less than that lately. Where that is from a LOT of countries, though again not as many as plenty of other open source projects with which I have compared.

Such things helped me greatly. And besides some web stats for a long time told myself could not notice much impact at all. But as the years have gone by, and have other things that pull global interest as well, have finally accepted--did change my life and in good ways too.

Learned much, and am better appreciating the global reality which gave me the experience, which is web enabled.

Ended up tossing just about everything I thought I knew about what happens if you get global attention. Reality is cooler though. So much speculative before realize had no reason to know better.

Where that POTENTIAL is there for any of us in the modern age, as even if you do not share at all, or are not even on the web, so would not be reading this post more than likely, someone else might share. And next thing, some other person is someone am considering, as ponder to myself the global reality of the web which means I am learning a person's story or something about that person, despite being so distant otherwise.

Which I think is often great. Definitely helps us appreciate core humanity I think. Is worth it then, to ponder how often is true for you. As definitely helps to get a better picture of people all over the world, and not just from nations which used to grab...I think the United States did.

Am not sure. Grew up in this country so realize have no clue how much attention Americans tend to grab around the globe really. We do tend to talk like we get a lot, but am more suspicious lately.

Regardless, am sure will change! Or should say, will continue to change, as web opens up our planet, and knowledge flows more easily around the globe.


James Harris

No comments: