Translate

Friday, August 11, 2017

Meta matters, innovation and attention reality

Found myself taking on the label of meta innovator as descriptive where talked in an entire post, but also functionally can say is like, there are situations where can be curious about area where am not an expert, and maybe find some useful innovation.

And one of my favorite examples of an outsider making a difference, for perspective I talk in this post, where bring up case of modern shipping containers and how putting things in rectangular objects could revolutionize global shipping. Which seems simple enough, but someone has to make it work. And was innovation that came from some former trucking company owner named Malcom McLean working with engineer Keith Tantlinger, according to quote from Wikipedia article read again for this post. Re-reading my own writing, to help with this latest.

The reality that innovation can come from so many places including from people not expert in an area is maybe more graspable with some simple ideas. I like simple ideas, like consider that shifts in how things are done are constant as humanity keeps--discovering, inventing and innovating. While people can become expert in an area learning how things were done best at one particular point in time. Which may not be the best way they can be done now.

Have a perspective with my own ideas as have pushed innovation in healthcare insurance which would allow everyone to get from any health insurer with no possibility of denial. If possible that would be a really big deal. But why might it be? Simple answer: cost of administration has dropped significantly thanks to computers. Linking to a post that gives more detail on my blog Lost in Commentary. Whether that will happen is another matter, but main point is focus on what shifted from the past, and in this case?

Computers have fully arrived. And with better handling of what is commonly called big data, where web has really pushed innovation there too.

Notice that noticing that does not need me being an expert on insurance industry. Though turns out I worked for 5 years in a clerical capacity at a major insurer but was in area of insurance covering construction defects.

Regardless of any experience I have in insurance industry, to me that idea just is about looking around at what has shifted.

But now then you can understand resistance.

Why should people expert in the old switch to the new that is possible?

To me what I thought were commonsense notions in that regard never worked out. So guess will speculate.

People who are experts in an area don't necessarily like an outsider suggesting things.

And with my innovations have yet to get sustained formal acceptance that I've seen from within any particular field. It can be exasperating when you get an expert to agree with you that you're correct too, then have that expert just do nothing else.

(Oh yeah, had a paper published in a mathematical journal once. But it didn't really work out at ALL how I thought would go. Guess should link to explanation on my math blog for the really curious? Here's a link to a post from 2013.)

Also, people are more territorial I think than I ever imagined possible.

Rather than the fantasy of acceptance would rather have for best ideas. Especially when is possible to prove are best.

And practically can be why we see much innovation by a company being created, like consider how much is around getting a car to take you somewhere, leveraging the web, and how many fights are still happening around the globe for the companies within that space!

And that means serious headwind for a zone where there are now two multi-billion dollar companies I think, which am sure is true for Uber and not sure how big Lyft is now.

However am not so much into starting a company around a particular innovation right now, as am more into innovating even further by leveraging web attention to focus on the ideas themselves, like with my functional ideas, like my definition of entertainment.

The web can simply draw attention to ideas regardless of expert opinion. And not supersede the experts or undermine their expertise where it remains valid, but instead actually augment.

To me it seems reasonable to suggest we may find that meta innovators simply become known as people who are just good at something that has an occupational potential as a service that can be marketed. That would be so cool! My dream job is a goal still in the distance.

Web to me is key, as lets you distribute ideas easily, and potentially connect with people who can use your ideas regardless of what I like to call silos or gatekeepers who might prefer funneling ideas through carefully built channels which tend to squash innovation and preserve the status quo.

That explains how as a meta innovator can talk about my ideas getting picked up immediately, and used around the world, where here can talk some of the attention reality where the people in the field can resist--why do I like to use that word? Reality I've seen is simply the silent treatment I like to say.

Really to me has looked like lots of just trying to act like nothing had changed. Which can get weird.

Term I like to use for it is social inertia.

Thanks to web best ideas win in many ways quickly, but still there can be all kinds of resistance and areas where there are people who try to ignore them, or fight them, like with the ride sharing.

In time though that resistance goes away as what were innovations become just accepted ways to do things.

Simply better is just too powerful.

Like consider how important modular shipping containers are today, for such a simple idea, which many can see stacked on huge ships sailing around the globe.

Most am sure, hardly think about them. I would ponder them often. But I love their story.


James Harris

No comments: