Translate

Monday, August 21, 2017

Some thoughts on responsibilities

Have been gratified with how so many things have gone, where feel like have done much to talk the big picture recently, but feel it would help to clarify on some areas that might seem obvious as well as talk what responsibilities I may feel with information I have.

Like have brought up race, but don't think have talked recently my conclusions from years ago that race was irrelevant as a factor with reaction to my ideas. Biggest help there was with the reach. With ideas that have simply gone global rapidly based on objective measures from third parties, can relax from concern that my being Black in the US has any impact. It does not.

So far this year alone, this blog according to Google Analytics which am checking for this post, has had visits from 63 countries. And from 241 cities within those countries. Which is only even showing people that Google Analytics can see. Is more like an indicator really than an exact measure. I use as a rough baseline. I kind of roughly think to myself have reach of a small university. Oh, and that's just this blog.

Regardless, if had felt that race was relevant, there are of course prominent Black people within the US, whom might have reached out towards at any time, and reality is: If I want to talk to someone? I usually can.

The ideas which I like to share so much, are usually results of substantial investments in time, energy and contemplation on my part. There rarely are in human history instances where so much is wrapped up with a single person, and skepticism is a great thing. Actually have been more concerned in the past that race might have moved things more quickly than was helpful, though with established authority that would have been ok. What I didn't want was to be put forward as maybe even some joke by some news agency or other reputable party, for being someone fighting for attention for his ideas.

Reality is am not fighting for attention at all. Got the attention from the outset. And even was able to talk to leading authorities for instance in math. Like I said, if I want to talk to someone, I usually can.

Perception may have been different, but recent posts talking authority I think explain it well that I was long focused on established authority. Now is more of a shrug. It's not like I need them when my ideas draw attention already. Actually for most established authorities in areas where I have ideas, my reach already exceeds theirs. Like math journals? Most are tiny in comparison to what I have now. I just wanted that comfort.

Which worked for me! Reality is, is hard to find how I was NOT benefited. I've quit trying to find a way. Just feel like, maybe was just meant to be. Sure was hard emotionally, but my need for validation from established authority was a personal thing. Was about emotion really. Talking it out, helps me let it go. (Also it just made sense! Go to the experts. Who wouldn't?)

My responsibility in my mind is to focus on correctness, and do my best to share effectively.

Effective sharing is important as even valuable and timely information can be missed simply because of how it is presented.

And that really is about it.


James Harris

No comments: